Re: TOO SLOW data write speed and delete.. NEED HELP

On Mar 14, 2012, at 5:05 PM, madhusudhana wrote:

>> I am yet to fully understand Ceph's behavior, thus you should not take my word on it, but I believe Ceph will
>> automatically take snapshots as a checkpointing mechanism. So, until someone (*looks at Sage*)
>> declares I am completely and utterly wrong, I'm going with that assumption.
>>
>> Also, I am not sure if the slowdown you're suffering is Btrfs-related, but just in case...
>>

>>> One more concern is 'rm' command is also TOO slow. I am a newbie here and
>>> i don't know to much about ceph working. I configured it in a simple way.
>>> Install ceph and run mkcephfs and start ceph in all the servers in the
>>> cluster.
>>>
>>> I want to understand why basic operations like 'cp' and 'rm' are slow bcz
>>> my actual workload does a lot of copy and delete operation. If I find the
>>> reason for the slowness and get a fix, then I think i can better compare and
>>> complete my ceph evaluation.
>>
>> My follow up questions:
>>
>> - Are you copying into Ceph? From within Ceph, into Ceph? Or are you simply copying from Ceph to somewhere else?
> Am copying data from a linux machine to ceph. Bot cp and rsync are really really slow

Although this could trigger a Btrfs-specific behavior we've noticed a while ago...

>> - Under which conditions do these slowdowns happen? Are you performing *a lot* of cp's / rm's in a short
>> amount of time?
> Its doesn't matter whether i am doing cp/rm in a short. Whenever i run those
> commands they run really slow.

... I don't think this applies.

If it happens every time you perform a cp/rm, regardless what's happening on the file system, and specially if it happens even if it's just the occasional cp/rm, well... then I think this does not fulfill the requirements for my initial suspicion.

This may be Ceph-related, so I'll leave it to someone else who might be able to help you better than I am. :-)

Good luck.

Cheers,
Joao

---
João Eduardo Luís
gpg key: 477C26E5 from pool.keyserver.eu