Re: Trying to build "ceph-client-standalone" under kernel 2.6.32

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:40, Bryan Wright
<bkw1a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry, let me correct that: I'm actually doing this under CentOS 6.2 with a
> 2.6.32 kernel.
>     Regarding the possibility of using a later kernel, I could do that, but
> then I'd need to worry more about keeping on top of security updates.  If I can
> use the stock CentOS kernel, then I can just let the CentOS maintainers worry
> about that.
>
>     Regarding the possibility of moving the 32-bit machines to 64-bit, it's an
> option, but there's otherwise very little pressure to make the move, and some
> trepidation about what might break.  For us, a 32-bit kernel with PAE has been a
> fine configuration.

Sorry, I don't have much else to tell you. We're not currently burning
developer hours in backporting the kernel client to old kernels. An
older version of ceph-client-standalone.git might work, or it might
not -- we don't regression test that code. If your need is big enough,
I'm sure the professional services side will take good care of you ;)

As for 64-bit, I've used it everywhere for a long time and haven't had
major breakage. I think it's a smaller risk than running an old ceph
kernel client on 2.6.32.