Re: Is ceph cluster time sensitive

Sage Weil <sage <at> newdream.net> writes:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2012, Madhusudhan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Just wanted to know if ceph cluster is time sensitive. will there
> > be any issue if the date and time differs between client machine
> > and ceph cluster? do their time has to be in sync to work
> > properly? if time differs, will there be any performance issue ?
>
> It is time sensitive.  You currently need to have (reasonably well)
> synchronized clocks.  At the very minimum, the ceph-mon daemons need to
> run on machines with good time.  There are also some oddities that can
> occur if the fs client doesn't match the metadata server... At some point
> we'll take a closer look at what we can do to make that less of a problem,
> but for now things will be a bit wonky.

Thank you Sage.
Currenlty all nodes in ceph cluster are having a set of time set on them and
client is having a different time. Below is example

Date in one of ceph node :
[root@ceph-node-5 ~]# date
Fri Mar  9 08:41:39 PST 2012

Date in the client machine :
[root@my_client_10 ~]# date
Fri Mar  9 22:12:02 IST 2012

Will this difference cause performance issue ?

> > Any plans to include exports/quotas in ceph file system ?
> > it will be a beauty if we have above to options, so that the space
> > in ceph cluster can be effectively allocated to client system.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by exports, but quotas will be added
> eventually.  Again, it's a ways out.
>
> sage

when i said exports, i mean to say about unix exports, where i can
export individual directories/sub-directories to different hosts in
different subnets.

As a NAS admin, i make use exports a lot. Some time we have to export
a directory to certain subnet and some time to a different subnet.