Re: Need some help in setting up rbd image with kvm

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 04:47, Upendra Moturi <upendra.m@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What does mkcepfs do? (A per my understanding from your post ,it is
> used to to initialize filesystem/object store)

Sets up the whole distributed system, including the object store and
if configured, the distributed filesystem metadata servers.

http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/man/8/mkcephfs/

> When we trigger mount ,it is like having a file system ?

If you mount the filesystem, it is like having a filesystem mounted.
I'm not sure what the real question here is.

> Is it correct to create a rbd device on top of this filesystem.(I am
> confused about this.)Bock device is something which we have instead of
> filesystem.

RBD lives on top of the object store, unrelated to the distributed filesystem.

http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/
http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/start/block/

> Can we create a rbd device without filesystem mounted and can it be a
> shared device.

Yes. Yes.