Re: OSD id in configuration file

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Eric_YH_Chen@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> For the scalability consideration, we would like to name the first
> harddisk as "00101" on first server.
>
> And named the first harddisk as "00201" on second server. The ceph.conf
> seems like this:
>
> [osd]
> osd data = /srv/osd.$id
> osd journal = /srv/osd.$id.journal
> osd journal size = 1000
>
> [osd.00101]

The leading 0's are meaningless (or at worst, misleading) here.  ceph-osd
identifiers are integers.

> host = server-001
> btrfs dev= /dev/sda
>
> [osd.00102]
> host = server-001
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdb
>
> [osd.00103]
> host = server-001
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdc
>
> [osd.00201]
> host = server-002
> btrfs dev= /dev/sda
>
> [osd.00202]
> host = server-002
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdb
>
> [osd.00203]
> host = server-002
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdc
>
> [osd.00301]
> host = server-003
> btrfs dev= /dev/sda
>
> [osd.00302]
> host = server-003
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdb
>
> [osd.00303]
> host = server-003
> btrfs dev= /dev/sdc
>
> But we are worried about if it is an acceptable configuration for ceph.
>
> As I see, the maximum osd is 304 now, although there are only 9 osds in
> the cluster.
> Will this configuration influence about the performance?
> And what if we add osd.00204 in the future?

They are stored as an array currently, so if the max is 304 using anything
below that is better, not worse.  ~300 is a small number, so this isn't
really problematic.  Just don't label an OSD osd.200302 or you'll be
unhappy.

sage