Re: More questions about the thesis.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM, 胡瀚森 <softrank.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks a lot.
> But I still don't know what does the word "probabilistically" in the sentence.
>>>...thus defining a sequence of candidates for each replica rank that are [[probabilistically]] independent of others' failures.
> That seems to be expressing that there is a chance to be independent,
> not 100% independent, and in some certain conditions they could be
> dependent. Am I right?
> If I'm right, what kind of situation can it be?

Sage can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the use of
"probabilistically" there is more a reminder of the domain you're
working in than a word that changes the meaning. CRUSH is a
probabilistic algorithm and the choice of replacements is
probabilistically independent — but that doesn't mean that the choice
of replacements for your storage replicas is necessarily independent
if there are physical failure correlations that aren't reflected in
your CRUSH model. Does that make sense?