Re: Installing_on_RedHat_or_CentOS

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM, JJ <jjones@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am trying to follow the direction at
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Installing_on_RedHat_or_CentOS
>
> This is my 3rd or 4th attempt trying to install ceph on 2 different OSs,
> (CentOS 5.[57] and Ubuntu 11.10
>
> Lately, on CentOS 5.5, the boost-devel 1.33.1 comes installed.
> I found a repo that has boost-devel* 1.39 and upgraded my system to that
> release.
>
> the part that fails at
> http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Installing_on_RedHat_or_CentOS is the
> instruction titled ""Building ceph itself" / "git checkout -b rc origin/rc"
> complains with
> "fatal: git checkout: updating paths is incompatible with switching
> branches.
> "Did you intend to checkout 'origin/rc' which can not be resolved as
> commit?"

Ah; those instructions are out of date. I've updated them to point at
the "stable" branch. Try:
git checkout -b stable origin/stable

:)

> I don't know git or it's particulars.
>
> Is 64bit architecture a requirement?
Nope!
> Is fuse* a requirement? (modprobe fuse doesn't issue any warnings)
Nope! Although you will have an easier time with the FUSE client than
the kernel client on a CentOS machine.

> Where can I find a more detailed list of requirements?
I don't know that there are any; generally we expect people to use the
packages if they want the dependencies to auto-resolve. :) There are
packages for Ceph but I'm not sure what state they're in; somebody
else will have a better idea!
-Greg