Re: ceph/hadoop benchmarking

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 08:30, Noah Watkins <jayhawk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The debhelper tool and friends seem to do a good job of packaging up the
> Java in this way, but integrating this into Ceph's default Debian scripts
> means that anyone would now need a JDK to build Ceph with
> dpkg-buildpackages.
>
> Is there a way to parametrize the Debian build process so people who don't
> care about Java bindings can proceed? An alternative approach is to say have
> another set of Debian build scripts in src/client/java/debian.

The only parametrization I'm aware of is DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, and it's
not really meant to be used for toggling off bits of functionality.
And if we would support DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nojava, would that mean not
listing the java sdk in Build-Dependencies? That sounds like a bad
road to take.

The clean options I see are:

1. require anyone building the debs to have the java sdk debs installed
2. split the java bindings into a separate source package

Frankly, I think 2. is decent option. Make ceph provide libcephfs-dev
etc, make that a build-dependency of the java bindings. It complicates
"build everything" but simplifies the common case. It lets these
things evolve at different rates. It acts as a good check on whether
we did a good job on libcephfs-dev packaging and API/ABI changes.

I personally dislike it a lot when some upstream project tries to
maintain all the language bindings in the world in the single master
repository. That leads to a "one size fits nobody" world. For example,
even our python bindings are *miserably* maintained compared to most
true-Python projects; for example, they are not PyPI/pip-friendly. The
reason why I've been ok with the python bindings is we use them
internally, for tests etc, and I want to push more in that direction..
but we already have the PHP bindings in a separate repo. We don't need
all the worlds bindings in ceph.git.