Re: Recommended btrfs mount options

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2011, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Christian Brunner wrote:
>
> >> - compression: I'm using lzo compression right now, as my CPUs in the
> >> OSD nodes where idle most of the time and it is improving throughput
> >> quite a bit.
>
> > The caveat here is that there is a corner case with inline extents and the
> > clone ioctl that isn't implemented.
>
> What happens when you trigger that case?  Crash or corruption?
>
> I ask because I've been running with zlib compression, and I haven't
> noticed any problems along these lines, though I haven't got to a point
> in which I'm doing more than rsyncing whole trees into the filesystem
> yet.

Took another look at this.  The ioctl will return EINVAL from
fs/btrfs/ioctl.c:2416:

				if (comp && (skip || trim)) {
					ret = -EINVAL;
					btrfs_end_transaction(trans, root);
					goto out;
				}

If os/FileStore.cc::_do_clone_range() sees EINVAL, it falls back to doing
a copy.  That may not be ideal in some cases, but at least it's
"correct".  For example,

0-8192 compressed inline
8192-100MB normal extent

and we clone 4k - 100MB, and get EINVAL, we ideally wouldn't fall back to
naively copying 100MB.  For RBD, those blocks are 4MB by default, so it's
not a big deal.

So you should be okay here.

sage