Re: The costs of logging and not logging

Hi,

On 11/21/2011 08:31 PM, Mark Kampe wrote:
I'm a big believer in asynchronous flushes of an in-memory
ring-buffer. For user-mode processes a core-dump-grave
robber can reliably pull out all of the un-flushed entries
... and the same process will also work for the vast majority
of all kernel crashes.

String logging is popular because:
1. It trivial to do (in the instrumented code)
2. It is trivial to read (in the recovered logs)
3. It is easily usable by grep/perl/etc type tools

But binary logging:
1. is much (e.g. 4-10x) smaller (especially for standard header info)
2. is much faster to take (no formatting, less data to copy)
3. is much faster to process (no re-parsing)
4. is smaller to store on disk and faster to ship for diagnosis

I'm a fan of this concept as well. In our hosting environments we use Varnish a lot to speed up HTTP traffic. This reverse proxy also uses a in-memory ring-buffer for logging.

Varnish logs everything into the ring and with processes like "varnishlog" you can grab the data you want, filter out whatever you want or what you don't want.

You can use varnishncsa to generate a NCSA formatted logfile out of the same buffer, without suffering performance in the proxy itself.

A ring-buffer can also be used for statistics, if you'd log a entry into the buffer for every operation the OSD does, you would also be able to generate statistics out of this, something Ceph is still lacking.

If you are logging to disk and you run into disk I/O problems (or network I/O) you'd only loose logging entries.

Wido

and a log dumper can quickly produce output that
is identical to what the strings would have been

So I also prefer binary logs ... even though they require
the importation of additional classes. But ...

(a) the log classes must be kept upwards compatible so
that old logs can be ready by newer tools.

(b) the binary records should glow-in-the-dark, so that
they can be recovered even from corrupted ring-buffers
and blocks whose meta-data has been lost.

I see two main issues with the slowness of the current logs:

- all of the string rendering in the operator<<()'s is slow. things like
prefixing every line with a dump of the pg state is great for debugging,
but makes the overhead very high. we could scale all of that back, but
it'd be a big project.
- the logging always goes to a file, synchronously. we could write to a
ring buffer and either write it out only on crash, or (at the very least)
write it async.

I wonder, though, if something different might work. gcc lets you
arbitrarily instrument function calls with -finstrument-functions.
Something that logs function calls and arguments to an in-memory ring
buffer and dumps that out on crash could potentially have a low overhead
(if we restrict it to certain code) and would give us lots of insight
into
what happend leading up to the crash.

This does have the advantage of being automatic ... but it is much more
information, perhaps without much more value. My experience with
logging is that you don't have to capture very much information,
and that in fact we often go back to weed out no-longer-interesting
information. Not only does too much information take cycles and
space, but it also makes it hard to find "the good stuff". I think that
human architects can make very good decisions about what
information should be captured, and when.