Feature request: "max mon" setting

Hi all,

currently, all defined monitors are started automatically and included in the
mon cluster. In a big cluster, you either need to define many monitors or
risk a cluster failure, if the majority of monitors fails.

Documentation recommends three monitors. In our special cluster configuration,
this would mean that if accidentially two nodes with monitors fail (e.g. one
in maintenance and one crashes), the whole cluster dies. What I would really
like would be that I can define a monitor on each node and e.g. set "max mon
= 3". Each monitor starting up can then check how many monitors are already
up and go to standby, if the number has already been reached. Regular
rechecking could allow another monitor to become active, if one of the
previously active monitors has died. Just like "max mds" actually.

A special case that gives me most headaches is the case of just two active
nodes. According to documentation, the monitor problem means that one failing
monitor kills the cluster whatever the number of defined monitors (1 or 2),
even if we have all data safely placed on both nodes.

Amon Ott
--
Dr. Amon Ott
m-privacy GmbH           Tel: +49 30 24342334

Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 84946

Geschäftsführer:
 Dipl.-Kfm. Holger Maczkowsky,
 Roman Maczkowsky