Re: ceph/hadoop benchmarking

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 14:34, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 1) Everything (JNI wrappers + Java) lives in the Ceph tree and build
>>    instructions include applying a patch to Hadoop.
>>
>>    The current solution, and isn't too bad but needs documentation. This
>>    approach can be simplified to avoid patching Hadoop by integrating
>>    Ceph-specific Java code using the CLASSPATH global variable.

>From my experience with Hadoop, the CLASSPATH approach seems
definitely good enough, and gives us more flexibility.

I don't know very much about the current patch in the Apache tracker,
but there really should be no need to patch the Hadoop upstream. Just
provide a jar with our filesystem plugin, change
fs.default.name=ceph://something/,
fs.ceph.impl=com.ceph.hadoop.CephFileSystem (whatever is in the jar).

http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/cluster_setup.html#Configuring+the+Hadoop+Daemons
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/core-default.html