Re: Using RADOS

Hi,

On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 13:14 +0530, Atish Kathpal wrote:
> Hello friends
>
> Since there is no Ceph User's mailing list, I am posting my doubt here.
>
> I want to use the Ceph object store capabilities. I have already
> installed and setup a Ceph cluster.
>
> As a first step, I want to be able to GET/PUT or read/write to the
> object store of my cluster. I would prefer a HTTP/REST interface but
> please let me know of other interfaces that exist for performing
> read/writes to ceph object store/RADOS.

You mean the radosgw? See: http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/RADOS_Gateway

That should give you a nice HTTP interface to your RADOS objects. Almost
fully S3 compatible.

There is also a command-line tool "rados" which you could use, but you
can also write something against librados (C/C++).

> Final goal: Besides normal read/writes, I also want to be able to have
> some objects, which point to no data. That is, I want to have a
> special flag, which if set, would mean there is no data pointed to by
> this Object ID. If its unset, it means its like a normal object
> pointing to some data file(s). I want to have the freedom to be able
> to set/unset this flag and hence be able to delete/re-insert the
> corresponding data file(s) against the same object ID. Do we have an
> API which could allow me such functionality?

No, RADOS is a pretty straight forward API. You have pools where you
place objects in. Objects can have xattrs and that's about it.

If you want these kinds of logic you'd have to write your own layer over
librados.

You could set xattr telling a object is empty.

RADOS is pretty low-level and straight forward. There is not much logic
in it, no locking or other fancy stuff. Just store objects in pools and
make sure they are safe.

Any other logic should be done by yourself.

Wido