Re: write operations

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011, Bill Hastings wrote:
> Let us say I have a random write workload. I want to write 100 blocks to
> block X on replicas A, B and C. Let's assume that in replica C I wrote only
> 99 bytes and the replica crashes. How does it is correct itself?

The writes are applied atomically.  Any given replica will either apply
the complete write or not.  Whether the write prevails depends on whether
at least one replica survives long enough without crashing to apply it.
Even then it is usually moot, since the client will retry until the write
is ACKed, which doesn't happen until all replicas apply.  But if
_everyone_ (osds and client) crashes, you either get the full write or
nothing.

> Also you mention you stripe at 4MB chunks and HDFS by default at 64 MB. Do
> you also have the notion of block reports as in HDFS?

There are no block reports in Ceph (<insert snarky remark about HDFS and
GFS architecture here>).  The closest thing would be the pg stat reports,
which is a summary of basic PG information (object, byte counts) and osd
utilization (statfs(2) results) periodically sent to the monitors.
Instead of reporting hundreds of thousands of blocks, however, Ceph OSDs
usually have on the order of 100 PGs, so this is a few KB at most.

sage