Re: Availability question of RADOS

Hello, Wido

I appreciate your answer.
And some more discussion goes below.

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 00:25 +0800, Fusheng Han wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> After reading the RADOS paper, I have some questions about
>> availability of RADOS. Nowhere I can find to discuss, so I'm here.
>> When adding new host to the cluster, some placement group will be
>> mapped to the new one. After the cluster info incremental propagates
>> to all the OSDs and clients, the client write operation will be
>> directed to the PG whose primary is at the new host. Before the new
>> host get the data migration down, it can not service these requests.
>> And due to the limitation of network bandwidth, the data migration may
>> take long. There is a long time that the new host can not service. I
>> got confused.
>
> Yes, during migration a PG will become unavailable for a short period of
> time. In a large cluster you have a large number of PGs where each PG
> doesn't contain that much data, which makes this period short.
>
> What kind of bandwith are you talking about? Ceph/RADOS is intended to
> run in datacenters where you have low latency high bandwith (1G)
> networks. Migrating a PG would take that much time in such environments.

What I mentioned is the network bandwidth limitation even with 1Gbps NIC.
Taking an imagine cluster for example:
Node: 10
Disk: 10TB per node (1TB per disk, 10 disks per node)
Utilization: 80% (i.e. totally 80TB data, 8TB data per node)

While adding a new node, 7.2TB (= 80TB / 11) data will be migrated to
the new one. With 1Gbps bandwidth, for best case, it will cost 7200
seconds (= 7.2TB / 1Gbps) to complete migration. For the last
placement group migrated to the new node, it will become unavailable
for 7200 seconds.

Fusheng Han