Re: MDS Replay Issues

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Mark Nigh <mnigh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, I did increase the max_mds prior to starting the cmds on the second node. Should I have started the daemon and then increase the mds?
> Well if you increase the max_mds that tells the system to make more
> active MDSes. "Active" means that the MDS is authoritative for part of
> the namespace hierarchy, will be serving clients, etc.
> If you just want standbys then you simply need to start up extra cmds processes.
>
> > I decrease it to one (1) and rebooted both cmds and they are still in replay. Is there a way to get them into active?
> Unfortunately we don't have a way right now to reduce the number of
> active MDSes. Most of the machinery is there but it's not complete or
> well-tested. You've probably confused the system by telling it to have
> fewer MDSes than it's already got, so you're going to have to put
> max_mds back to 2 to get this cluster back up.

There are two parts here:

 - 'ceph mds stop <num>' will tell the given mds rank to export its
subtrees and leave the active set.  The daemon will either shut down or go
back to standby (I forget which :).

 - Setting max_mds to a lower value will prevent any new or standby MDSs
from (re)joining the active set.

The first part isn't yet part of our testing matrix but should work!

sage