Re: MDS configuration

This depends very much on how many active files you have at once and how beefy your MDS machines are. By default the MDS will cache 100k dentries, and each dentry takes ~1KB of RAM. If you have sufficient RAM you can increase the size of the cache arbitrarily, though!

There's actually no required relationship between total filesystem size and MDS memory, though, since all the metadata is stored in on-disk objects. We haven't done serious memory profiling in a while, though, so there may be other constraints acting up that we're missing out on here.
-Greg