Re: why client change "max_size" when writting?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011, huang jun wrote:
> hi,developers
>   when write a file, why did client send a message to mds to change
> the variable "max_size" in inode  ? so, if we don't change the
> "max_size", what  consequence we  will get? and why the client will
> not write if the mds didn't return the changed "max_size" to client?

The max_size sets a bound on the number of data objects the client is
allowed to write to, which in turn bounds the amount of work probing
objects that MDS has to do if the client crashes to recover the file size
and mtime.

Setting it larger will let the client write more data faster, but will
mean more work if the client crashes.

sage