Re: long object names

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 12:27:01PM -0700, Colin McCabe wrote:
> I like this idea a lot. It does involve extra expense, but only for
> long file names. It also avoids object name collisions completely.
>
> One additional idea: can we make the chunking configurable?
> If we did a translation like this:
> abcdefg -> abc/def/g
> 123456789 -> 123/456/789
>
> prefix search would become a *lot* more efficient for rgw.
> On the other hand, the filesystem layer doesn't care about prefix
> search, so it could just configure the chunking to be after 200
> characters or something (at which point it's basically a no-op.)

The one big downside is that with configurable chunking, you no longer
have an always correct 1:1 mapping between object and file.

You might argue for always (not configurably) chunking at some
smaller, fixed boundary, so on the average you'd need to readdir()
less to serve a prefix search. I think this is what your last sentence
refers to. But that means more overhead with the directories.

The only real answers are available via benchmarks.

--