Re: mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127

Tommi Virtanen <tommi.virtanen <at> dreamhost.com> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:57:02PM +0200, Zenon Panoussis wrote:
> > > Now when I want to mount a Ceph filesystem with
> > >     mount -t ceph 10.1.9.46:/ /mnt/ceph
> > > I got following error:
> > >     "mount.ceph: modprobe failed, exit status 127"
> >
> > Since ceph and libceph are already in the kernel, it seems logical that
> > them would fail; after all, there are no modules to be loaded. Then again,
 it
> > doesn't make sense that mount tries to load them anyway and fails.
>
> If modprobe didn't find the module, he'd be getting exit status 1.
>
> If ceph was built-in to the kernel, modprobe would see that and claim
> success.
>
> Exit status 127 means the command was not found; for some reason, the
> executable "modprobe" is not in PATH when mount.ceph is run.
>
> Are you perhaps trying to mount as non-root? That's not going to work.

Hi I tried both with root and with a "normal" user.

Both had the same fault. My PATH-Variable looks like this:

/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:
/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin

Is there something missing? When I do "modprobe ceph"  this works fine...

Is it possible that my ceph.conf has an error?

http://pastebin.com/bhk1EvWm

Best regards,

Christoph