Re: cosd multi-second stalls cause "wrongly marked me down"

Colin McCabe wrote:
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Jim Schutt <jaschut@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sage Weil wrote:

I would also be interested in seeing a system level profile (oprofile?) to
see where CPU time is being spent.  There are likely low hanging fruit in
the OSD that would reduce CPU overhead.
This will take me a little while, since I need to learn
about the tools.  But since I need to learn about them
anyway, that's a good thing.

oprofile is surprisingly easy to get started with. We have a wiki page about it:

http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Cpu_profiling

Cool, thanks.

I guess the other thing that would help to confirm this is to just halve
the number of OSDs on your machines in a test and see if the problem goes
away.
I was going to try this first, exactly because it seems like
a definitive test.

If my analysis above is correct, do you think anything
can be gained by running the heartbeat and heartbeat
dispatcher threads as SCHED_RR threads?  Since tick() runs
heartbeat_check(), that would also need to be SCHED_RR,
or the heartbeats could arrive on time, but not checked
until it was too late.

Thanks for the ideas. However, I doubt that making the OSD::tick()
thread SCHED_RR would really work.

The OSD::tick() code is taking locks all over the place. Since a bunch
of other threads besides the tick thread can be holding those locks,
this would soon result in priority inversion. Not to mention,
heartbeat_messenger has its own thread(s) which actually perform the
work of sending the heartbeat messages.

Yes, I think I understand.

-- Jim

cheers,