Re: Configuration of OSD

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, Sylar Shen wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about OSD as follows.
> I have a server as OSD which contains 4*1T disks.
> Therefore I should set OSDes like this in ceph.conf......
>    [osd0]
>            host=ceph1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sda1
>    [osd1]
>            host=ceph1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdb1
>    [osd2]
>            host=ceph1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdc1
>    [osd3]
>            host=ceph1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdd1
> My question is, if I have many servers(maybe larger than 200) and each
> server contains 12*1T disks.
> Should I set my ceph.conf like this pattern?

Right.

> I mean, if I have 200 servers, I will have to configure 200*12=240
> OSDes manually?
> That will be a hard work....:p

Well, you can write a simple perl or bash script to generate the conf for
you (or some fragment of it).

> Can I set like this instead and the system could do the rest for me?
>   [osd0-osd3]
>            host=ceph1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sda1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdb1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdc1
>            btrfs devs=/dev/sdd1
> I am not sure if this makes sense or not. I just happened to have this
> thought....:p

Yeah, that won't work.  :)

We don't have any plans to make the configuration parsing more complex at
this point.  This problem is probably best solved by a separate tool (not
ceph itself).

sage