Re: Proporttions of each role in a cluster

On Monday, March 7, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Sylar Shen wrote:
Yes, an odd number is the best practice.
> What I concerned is that the numbers of monitors when the scalability
> gets bigger.
> For now, I think 3 is OK, too. But I will have more servers to be
> added in the future(more than 100 servers).

That's unlikely to be a problem for you. The monitors don't have too
handle too many messages; they handle the cluster state but generally
each OSD is going to send them (small) messages a couple times a
second -- or possibly much less often.

> And I would like to know the proportions of each role(MDS,OSD,MON) in a cluster. Because in the future, we will have more servers to build and test.

3 monitors should be sufficient for any cluster you are likely to
build (I don't know what he maximum is, but it's a lot).
Configurations with 1 MDS are a lot more stable than configurations
with multiple MDSes, so I'd start with that and if you find that you
need to handle more metadata ops, you can add more -- adding MDSes to
a running cluster is fairly simple. And put in all the OSDs you need
to handle your storage size and bandwidth needs! :)
-Greg