Re: building Ceph on various architectures

On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 19:42 -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 11:52 AM, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > >  Yes, it looks similar. But please note two things. The counterpart of
> > > #635388 in Ubuntu is #597193 [1] in Debian. It was fixed on the 20th of
> > > September, last year. Also, that bugs was:
> > > 'AO_fetch_and_sub1_write' was not declared in this scope
> > > Compared to this one:
> > > 'AO_fetch_and_add_write' was not declared in this scope
> > >
> > > I don't say it completely different, but doesn't look the exact same.
> >
> > Ah, I didn't notice that -- I'll look into it more closely!
> >  I looked at this a bit more and there's nothing really obvious jumping out at me, but I do have a few observations/questions:
> 1) It looks to me like this is the same error of definitions as previously. AO_fetch_and_sub1_write, AO_fetch_and_add_write, etc are in both bugs. (This is to be expected, since the most probable cause of atomic-ops issues are problems with definition chaining.)
 Well, can be. As I see, the original bug was fixed in Debian as
well[1].

> 2) I notice that this is in the compile output: "Kernel: Linux 2.6.31-rc9 armel (armv5tel)"
> Does that mean it's building on an arm v5 machine?
> I wonder if maybe there's an issue there -- my knowledge of the ARM architecture is extremely limited (basically just tracking issues like this down) but from what I've read there were some changes which could account for a bug like this. Notably, atomic-ops for arm depends on the "__arm__" preprocessor variable being defined, which I'd expect to be defined for any version but maybe isn't.
 I have to run and will have time only in the afternoon (CET). Until
then I can give you only pointers. The email list of ARM porters:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/ . It's not moderated, so you can
post there. IRC can be faster, you can find #debian-arm on
irc.debian.org .

HTH,
Laszlo/GCS