Re: cosd multi-second stalls cause "wrongly marked me down"

On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > I have managed to get OSDs wrongly marking each other down during
> > startup when they're peering large numbers of PGs/pools, as they
> > disagree on who they need to be heartbeating (due to the slow handling
> > of new osd maps and pg creates); if you're mostly seeing OSDs get
> > incorrectly marked down during low epochs (your original email said
> > epoch 7) this is probably what you're finding.
>
> FWIW, this isn't supposed to happen either.. the implementation may be
> broken somewhat. The idea is that once an OSD starts to expect a
> heartbeat it should tell them so. And if an OSD is told that a future
> epoch says it should send heartbeats to node foo, then it will do so, at
> least until it processes that epoch.
Hmmm -- I don't think they're telling the other OSDs that they're heartbeat partners! At least I didn't see anything that would make that happen. They just start expecting pings, and in some cases they will start sending them because they notice they're a local replica too, but there's nothing in those messages like "you owe me pings as of epoch x".
Are there stubs you know of that I should look at in re-implementing this behavior?

> > We still have no idea what could be causing the stall *inside* of
> > tick(), though. :/
>
> You mean heartbeat(), right? Yep, still no clue... :(

Well the 28-second stall is inside of tick() as it arms a timer for the next tick. Heartbeat is definitely failing but nobody's quite sure why, as I recall.