Re: NFS stale filehandles

Ahh from the module source... I'll add this to the wiki page:
http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/Re-exporting_NFS

/*
 * NFS export support
 *
 * NFS re-export of a ceph mount is, at present, only semireliable.
 * The basic issue is that the Ceph architectures doesn't lend itself
 * well to generating filehandles that will remain valid forever.
 *
 * So, we do our best.  If you're lucky, your inode will be in the
 * client's cache.  If it's not, and you have a connectable fh, then
 * the MDS server may be able to find it for you.  Otherwise, you get
 * ESTALE.
 *
 * There are ways to this more reliable, but in the non-connectable fh
 * case, we won't every work perfectly, and in the connectable case,
 * some changes are needed on the MDS side to work better.
 */