Re: master branch in git

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 13:22 -0800, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> You're talking about the userspace Ceph repository?
> I wasn't aware there was a master or stable branch (heh). I thought
> Sage had just recently cleaned up the old branches, but we may still
> have a bit of a mess as we adjusted to a larger team size and more
> formal releases. You're generally going to want one of testing,
> unstable, rc.
>
> Unstable is the branch we do dev work on. It has the newest shiny
> stuff and is far more likely to be broken than the other branches, to
> get commits erased, etc.
> Testing is the previous release plus bugfixes, and will eventually
> become the next point release (eg, v.24.3).
> rc is maintained when we're approaching a major release (eg, v.25) and
> contains the features we expect to go into that branch. This branch
> comes off of unstable but once it branches it's a fairly stable
> branch.

thanks for the clarification Greg.

It's a bit weird seeing the master branch like that. It just looks a bit
abandoned, and it's the branch most people (and git clients) go to
first.

Example: http://ceph.newdream.net/git/?p=ceph.git;a=summary  :)

Not sure what to do about it though.

weird seeing the "stable" branch be 3 months old too.

http://ceph.newdream.net/git/?p=ceph.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/stable

I think it'd be nice to see each tagged release get merged to stable,
and perhaps unstable commits on master? Not sure.

sorry to complain, just trying to help :)

John.