Re: [ceph-commit] ceph.git branch unstable updated. v0.24.1-327-gae47f3c

Moving to list.

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Gregory Farnum <gregf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Colin McCabe <cmccabe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I guess the first question is a philosophical one. Do we want to allow
>> people to use things like the heap checker or valgrind on unit tests?
>> I think we should, since it will be add to the usefulness of unit
>> tests in general. The second question is, if we do want to do that,
>> how should we go about it? I think you have the right idea with making
>> common_init more granular, so that we can initialize just the heap
>> checker or signal handler without pulling in the whole thing. If you
>> agree, let's open a bug to get this taken care of, since you
>> apparently didn't like my "just call common_init" solution.
>
> Unit tests probably ought to be simple enough that you don't need a
> full backtrace handler. Certainly it doesn't need tcmalloc's heap
> checker.

Well, nobody needs a backtrace handler until his or her code has a
bug. Then everyone needs one, whether the code is simple or not.

I'm trying to think ahead to the future here, where we might see
scenarios like "make check got a segfault on the continuous build
server, but it runs just fine locally. Gee, I wonder what the problem
is?" Unfortunately, stuff like this happens a lot. Uninitialized
memory is often 0, and things may work "accidentally." malloc(<large
random number>) may work-- if your computer is beefy enough.

> If we do want some of our other advanced features, I think we
> should add them in individually as otherwise it becomes too easy to
> pollute our unit tests with unexpected setup bits.

I agree completely. That's why I talked about "making common_init more
granular."

regards,
Colin