Re: Installing and configuring ceph

Hi Peter,

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Peter W. Morreale wrote:

> I'm having a difficult time installing ceph for the first time by
> following the newdream wiki site.  Can some kind soul help with the
> following?
>
> I've built ceph 0.24 from the tarball on a pristine OpenSUSE 11.3
> release, and performed:
>
> % make
> % make install
> % make install-data (from reading the makefiles)
>
> The goal is to install ceph on 3 identical machines, each with a
> dedicated partition, using btrfs.  (yes, ssh access w/o passwords are
> configured among these machines)
>
> 1) /etc/init.d/ceph is not installed, nor are the sample confs installed
> in /etc/ceph.  Is there some other make target I need to run?  The
> INSTALL file in the source is not very helpful.  Install manually?
> Where is the init.d script?  (.../src/ceph is a binary.)

Currently the init.d script isn't installed by 'make install', only by the
debian/redhat packaging.  This is partly just ignorance on my part: I'm
not sure to what extent the init.d script location is OS dependent.
You can copy it yourself from src/init-ceph.

> 2) Do I need a kernel client?  Its not clear to me from the wiki what
> the role of the kernel module is.   Do I need the kernel client for
> client access only?  From a previous post I inferred that one could use
> fuse for client access, is that correct?

Right. The kernel module is only for client access.  You can use cfuse
instead.

> 3) I assume I need to install the user-space portion of ceph on all
> machines?  Or do we differentiate between ceph user-space servers on on
> "server" machines and the kernel client for 'client' access.

The daemons are only needed on the server machines.  /sbin/mount.ceph is
needed on the client side only if you want to mount by hostname instead
of ip.

> 4) Is there some other documentation that explains bringing up ceph for
> the first time?  Everything I find is vectored to the wiki.
>
> Clearly I am missing the larger picture on how to install.  Thanks in
> advance for any info.

The wiki is it.  Any specific suggestions on what pieces of information
(beyond the above) that would make it more helpful are welcome!

sage