Re: Example of RADOS AIO?

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010, Tatsuya Kawano wrote:
> Is there any example of asynchronous IO on RADOS (librados)? When I
> write some bytes to an object, I'm only interested on the ack, which
> means writes are applied to all the OSDs within the same placement group
> but not yet committed to the disks. I'll use this feature to write HBase
> journals.

There is an example in the rados_bencher.h file, and in
testrados[pp].c[c].

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that in some cases commit is
actually faster.  Sometimes writing to the fs can be bursty (latency
spikes while btrfs is doing a commit).  If you have a writeahead journal,
the commit always comes first.  And if you have a fast journal device
(SSD, NVRAM, RAID card with NVRAM, etc.) it will also be predictably fast.

And if it's a journal you rely on for consistency, I'd be very careful
about relaxing your safety guarantees!

sage