Re: Performence test on ceph v0.23 + EXT4 and Btrfs

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Jeff Wu <cpwu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is "40-50MB/s" the speed that it run bench at local btrfs disk ?
> not the speed that run bench from client to osd server ?
> with this speed ,run bench from client to osd server ,will which  get
> about 20~25MB/s( 40~50MB /2 )speed ?
Data on Ceph is replicated across 2 OSDs (by default; this is
configurable). So while figuring out potential performance involves a
lot of variables, in a simple case like this where you aren't bounded
by network bandwidth you'll find that your read/write performance
simply tracks the slower disk. I'd expect your Ceph tests (at least
the streaming ones) to run at 40-50MB/s.

Given that everything else is okay, I cannot stress enough that
running without a journal is going to cause significant performance
degradations. I have a hard time believing that it's responsible for
13-second latencies, but it's possible. So how about you set up a
journal (it can just be a file or new partition on the drives you're
already using) and report back your results after you do that. :)
Adding a journal to the OSDs lets them turn all their random writes
into streaming ones.
-Greg