Re: Java binding for RADOS API

Hi,

> The general rule is to split objects up into smaller pieces of 4MB,
> that's what the filesystem Ceph and RBD do.
>
> You could refer to the RBD code, but i'm not fully into RBD, Yehuda
> Sadeh might be able to tell you more.
>
> The problem is, that when you put everything in one RADOS object, it
> might fill up a single OSD.
>
> For example, you have ten OSD's, all with a 500GB disk, this would give
> you 5TB of storage. But when you create a image of 1TB (which is mapped
> into a single RADOS object), this object would grow over 500GB and fill
> up that OSD.
>
> When splitting it into smaller object, these can be striped over the
> OSD's, giving you more space, but also more performance.

Okay, I'll think about it.

>> > Yes, the radosgw from Ceph is proof-of-concept, what RADOS/Ceph is
>> > capable of. Do you have your Walrus integration online somewhere?
>>
>> Well, currently my testing environment is on the internal network.
>> If you want to test it I can setup.
>
> Oh no, I meant the code to implement it into Walrus, is that available
> somewhere?

Oops, sorry I misunderstood.

I implemented it for Eucalyptus-2.0.0, wrote a little install document:
https://code.launchpad.net/~syuu/eucalyptus/rados4eucalyptus-2.0.0
http://r4eucalyptus.wikia.com/wiki/RADOS4Eucalyptus_Wiki

And now I'm trying to merge it to -devel tree of Eucalyptus, just sent
the diff at last Friday.
It's not clear that will be merged or not until I haven't received
reply, unfortunately.

syuu