Re: read/write on RADOS using external buffer

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There's no pthread specific data or gettid() syscalls here.  The 'tid' is
> a transaction id generated by the Objecter that matchers up replies to
> requests.

Oh, ok. I misunderstood completely then :\

> SimpleMessenger will change no matter what, because the core problem that
> we're trying to solve is that it allocates a new buffer when a message is
> being read off the wire.  See SimpleMessenger::read_message().  Somehow
> that needs to discover and use the user provided buffer instead.  That
> will invariably involve a callback of some sort to find the user buffer.
> And some means of yanking the buffer away to deal with the corner issue
> above.

I can see now that we're always allocating a new bufferlist in
SimpleMessenger. I can see why we want this feature.

I wish we didn't have to have a callback just to get the buffer we're
trying to write into. It feels like that should somehow be grouped
with the rest of the transaction data. Why can't we add it to
Objector::Op's constructor, for example. There must be some obvious
reason but I don't see it yet.

cheers,
Colin