Re: OOM's on the Ceph client machine

On Wed, 13 Oct 2010, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:29:43AM -0700, Sage Weil wrote:
> > There have been a number of memory leak fixes since then, at least one of
> > which may be causing your problem (it was caused by an uninitialized
> > variable and didn't usually trigger for us, but may in your environment).
> > Can you retry with the latest mainline?  The benchmark completes without
> > problems in my test environment.
>
> Sure.  This may have to wait until early next week for me to retry
> with the latest mainline, but I'll definitely move to 2.6.36 in the
> near future.
>
> > If fsync on a single file in journal-less ext4 doesn't do any extra work,
> > I would just put the (preallocated) journal file together with the data on
> > each disk.  Usually that's bad news because of the journal flushing, but
> > you shouldn't have that problem.  Alternatively, you could use a small
> > separate partition on the same spindle.
>
> I'm currently reformatting the Ceph cluster to put the journal for
> /dev/sdX3 on /disk/sdX3/ceph.journal, so I'll try that test first, and
> see what difference that makes.  That way I can make one change at a
> time and see what difference each change in my cluster configuration
> actually gives me.

Sounds good!

> BTW, this might be a good time to report a tiny little problem which I
> found.  If the journal file doesn't exist, then when you run mkcephfs,
> cosd will attempt to create the file for you.  But it creates it as a
> 4k file, and then it loops forever in FileJournal::wrap_read_bl() on
> line 808, because get_top() and and header.max_size are both 4096, and
> it results in it being an expensive while (1) loop.  This completely
> stalls the mkcephfs operation, and it took me a while to debug.

That likely explains the hang Martin saw a few days back, and why we
haven't hit it (our journal files usually already exist).  Thanks for
tracking that down!

> It might be nice if cosd either (a) failed completely if the journal
> file is missing, or too small, or (b) if cosd is started in mkfs mode,
> and the journal file does not exist, perhaps it should create a
> journal file with some suitable default size.
>
> For stuff like this, I assume the right thing to do is to just open a
> bug in tracker.newdream.net?  Is there any project-specific customs I
> should be aware of?

Yeah, entering it directly in the tracker is nice, although just reporting
it here is fine as well.  I went ahead and added this one (#487).

Thanks!
sage