Re: "umount" of ceph filesystem that has become unavailable hangs forever

Did you try an umount -l (lasy umount) - should just
disconnect the fs - as I experienced with other network FS -
like NFS or Gluster - you may always have difficulties with
any of them - so "-l" helps me. Not sure for CEPH though.

On Friday 23 July 2010, Sébastien Paolacci wrote:
> Hello Sage,
>
> I would like to emphasize that this issue is somewhat
> annoying, even for experiment purpose: I definitely
> expect my test server to not behave safely, crash, burn
> or whatever, but having a client side impact as deep as
> needed a (hard) reboot to solved a hanged ceph really
> prevent me from testing with real life payloads.
>
> I understand that it's not an easy point but a lot of my
> colleagues are not really whiling to sacrifice even
> their dev workstation to play during spare time... sad
> world ;)
>
> Sebastien
>
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Peter Niemayer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > trying to "umount" a formerly mounted ceph filesystem
> > that has become unavailable (osd crashed, then msd/mon
> > were shut down using /etc/init.d/ceph stop) results in
> > "umount" hanging forever in
> > "D" state.
> >
> > Strangely, "umount -f" started from another terminal
> > reports the ceph filesystem as not being mounted
> > anymore, which is consistent with what the mount-table
> > says.
> >
> > The kernel keeps emitting the following messages from
time to time: