Re: Using other filesystems than btrfs with Ceph

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010, Peter Niemayer wrote:
> On 06/11/2010 06:40 PM, Sage Weil wrote:
> > The btrfs isn't required for consistency if the writeahead journal is
> > enabled (which it is by default).  However, at the moment the code that
> > controls trimming the journal assumes ext3 data=ordered fsync semantics
> > (fsync flushes the entire journal and all prior writes).  This needs a
> > little bit of work to do the right thing with ext4 and xfs.
> >
> > So: I would stick with btrfs or ext3 for now if you want recovery to work
> > reliably!
>
> The recovery you are referring to, here, is that an operation required...
>
> a) after an outage that involved many/all redundant OSDs
> b) after a physical failure of one underlying storage device
> c) after every disconnect/reconnect of Ceph nodes

After an OSD node crash.

The challenge is keeping the contents of the osd data dir in a fully
consistent state.  The writeahead journal lets us do that, but it needs to
know when previous operations have fully committed to disk so it can trim.
Currently there's a simple fsync() in there to do that, but something
trickier is required for ext4 and xfs.  A per-mount sync(2) type operation
would be ideal.

sage