Re: ceph, slow (cheap) and fast (expensive) storage?

On Tue, 8 Jun 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I would not expect to be the fast (expensive) storage to be that faster
> in a ceph cluster. if you get enough cheap storage nodes it will scale
> with the amount of disks/nics as the date is striped among all the nodes
> (osd's). But this is just my speculation.
>
> if you have some amount storage nodes and you are on GigE you will hit
> the ethernet limit on the client faster than anything else.

You can also think of "fast" and "slow" in terms of the ratio of io
bandwidth to capacity on each individual device.  For example you can use
lots of SATA disks in parallel to get more IOPs and throughput, but the
platters will be mostly empty.  It's often a question of how much total
data you have and how much IO to it you need to serve.

Of course, there are also absolute performance considerations (SSD read
latencies are lower than a disk), so both factors should be considered.

sage