Re: cosd death by oom-killer

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 17:41 -0600, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for tracking this down.  Greg is working on a similar patch that
> throttles memory consumed only by messages from clients.  (We can't
> throttle on memory used for inter-osd traffic currently without risking
> various deadlocks during recovery and so forth.  And buffers are used for
> various internal things as well.)

Great.  I'll be happy to give it some extra early testing if needed.
I consider my patch to be a crutch that lets me continue testing
while a better solution is devised.

>  It's not a complete solution to the
> memory use issue, but it covers the most common problem (client induced
> memory use), and your problem in particular.

Will it also maybe address the possibility of OOM during recovery?

I need to learn more about how ceph balances resources for
recovery vs. resources for client requests during recovery ....

Thanks for looking into this.

-- Jim