Correct proceedure for removing ceph nodes

Hello,

We're having trouble figuring out what the correct proceedure for
(permanently) removing nodes from a ceph cluster is.
1. Mon:
    I see that the MonMap class has a remove operation, but is not
exposed through the MonmapMonitor. Any reason why not?
2. MDS:
    I guess we just kill the daemon and let the recovery mechanism do
its job. We notcied however, that decreasing the active mds count
using set max mds doesn't seem to have any effect: i.e. no MDSes are
moved back to standby.
3. OSD:
   Again, I suppose we could just kill the daemon, but that'd leave
holes in the data placement which doesn't seem to be very elegant.
Setting the device weight to 0 in the crushmap works, but trying to
remove a device entriely produces strange results. Could you shed some
light on this?

Thanks in advance,
Paul C