Re: Replacing DRBD use with RBD

Martin Fick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a questions with respect to RADOS and RBD and the cluster monitor
> daemons.

I'm not one of the developers, but I've been following for a while and one
of your sub-questions intriqued me; specifically:

>...This would open up the use of RBD devices for linux
> containers or linux vservers which could run on any machine in a cluster
> (similar to the idea of using it with kvm/qemu).

As it currently stands you could likely run a vserver or an
OpenVZ/Virtuozzo/LXC container on Ceph (the distributed FS) directly, rather
than layering a local FS over RBD. Also, this would probably provide better
performance in the end. As a side benefit, you would gain the ability to
make fine-grained snapshots of the guests' filesystems, access them directly
from the host (or another Ceph client), and adjust quotas for the guest
while running. This is probably a better solution for container-based
virtualization than RBD-based options, due to the advantage one can take of
all guests sharing a kernel with the host. RBD is more likely to be useful
for full virtualization like KVM, but even in that case you could probably
make a specialized initramfs that mounts a rootfs over Ceph with a prefix
(taking advantage of that Ceph allows mounting a subdirectory as if it was
the whole FS).

Hope this helps!