Re: mkcephfs 0.20 failure on debian: FAILED assert(r == 0)

hi sage

> It sounds like the osd journal file exists, but is 0 bytes.  You can
> include
>
> 	osd journal size = 100    ; measured in MB
>
> to your ceph.conf and it will be resized during mkfs (iff it is 0
> bytes). Or use 'dd'.  Or (better yet) point it at a raw block device.

ok, this worked.

> I'm fixing up the error handling to return an error instead of
> asserting.
>
>> .. and what happend to the ceph-kclient-source package?
>
> Well, I'm not sure if we should keep building that package.  The kernel
> client versioning is somewhat divorced from the server side now that the
> client is in the mainline kernel (and releases are dictated by kernel
> releases).  But I take it people use that package?  I suppose as long as
> there is some 'stable' release that coincides with the final kernel
> release (e.g., v0.20.1 for v2.6.34 in a few weeks, in this case).

debian squeeze will be released with kernel 2.6.32 - so it won't have the
upstream ceph module.

the kvm project releases "kvm-kmod" source tarballs numberd like the
kernel for use with older kernels. something like that would be nice.

even more nice would be a dkms* package. maybe i get the time this week
to try creating one.

- Thomas

* http://linux.die.net/man/8/dkms