Re: mail server best practices question

I use Mailscanner with postfix and Mailwatch to manage quarantine etc;

http://mailscanner.info/

On the backup MX, I just use postfix and some basic anti-spam stuff. Very little gets through and even less gets through to the primary. I am aware that some spam techniques go straight to the backup MX because most people don't set it up quite as well as the primary. YMMV.

I also used to use greylisting, which does reduce spam, but, unfortunately it also reduces valid mail ;-) In the end I'd rather suffer a few spams getting through compared to the delayed receipt of important emails.

Brian.