Re: Not firewall, but what?

Paul Heinlein wrote:
On Thu, 6 May 2010, Jussi Hirvi wrote:

I have a strange problem, where some clients see the website on my
server and some do not. It is not about the iptables, and seems to be
not about tcp wrapper. Still it is something within the box.

More details:
- the problem is only with some clients, with no geographical connection
between them; other clients see the website just fine

A while back, I remember there was a problem with TCP window scaling
that would impact only some clients in a way that you describe:

   http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/

Did this problem begin yesterday?
I recall that the DNS top level domain servers changed something yesterday in regards to DNSSEC
It has to do with packet sizes for TCP DNS requests and how some routers cannot handle the larger packets and thus time out.
(not a technical summary - just a layman's version)
HTH
begin:vcard
fn:Rob Kampen
n:Kampen;Rob