Re: gcc? (w/ a bit of "vi vs. emacs")

Bob McConnell wrote:
m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ken wrote:
On 05/03/2010 10:37 AM m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
someone wrote:
Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
<snip>
Interesting.
Yeah, it's so cool, I don't understand why there aren't a bazillion
Linux GUI apps for everything.  It makes creating GUI apps actually fun!

For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything
vi.
from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code.  Emacs
isn't just configurable, it's programmable.  You can write code to add
or change the functionality emacs provides.  It's been around since the
'60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.
I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any
rate, yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a
programmers' editor....

         mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"
Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I said "emacs" on a mailing
list and someone came back "vi".  I'd own a paradise island somewhere.
B-)
I'd have had that island a decade or more ago.
Just to earn myself another mythical nickel, I'll say:  With emacs
tramp-mode I can, in a local emacs window, open a file on any other
machine in the world to which I have ssh access.  This functionality has
<snip>
Of course, the one *I* want is brief. I think $$ome editor$ still
advertise brief emulation mode. *How* many keystrokes is it to do column
copy in emacs?

YES, brief is the best editor I have ever used. There are several features like that I still miss. I actually have a couple of copies of it in the original boxes, but it only runs on xx-DOS or OS/2. I plan to use one of them on some 80386 based PC/104 boards I am getting ready to reactivate. It will fit nicely into the 2MB flash drive with DR-DOS.
Wow, I used to use this back in the day - it was a great editor but never made it into the 21st century as far as I know. Another one is ultraedit - now available for linux in rpm form for RHEL - but it is not free.
HTH
Bob McConnell
N2SPP

begin:vcard