is it possible to resive /var online?

Hi all,

Is it possible, safely, to resize /var while a server is running? I urgently need to resize a full 2GB /var on a running server which is located at a remote location where no one can get to it for 2 days?

The system runs on lvm.

I already moved /var/logs to it's own LVM partition but it didn't help at all so I think it's better to rather just resize it. Google searches suggest taking the server offline, or boot into single mode. But this won't be possible for another 2 or so days and I urgently need to install more software on the server.

tia :)

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers