Re: fsck problems

Thanks for all replies .

Today, I did the following things,and also met the other errror message:

First, I used the CentOS 4.6 DVD  to boot for the linux rescue and then i copy  all data to the another server

Then,  reboot the server and then boot it from the hard disk.

This time, the screen came up with these:

Checking root filesystem:
EXT3-fs error (device dm-0) :
ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read  inode block -inode=7473432, block=14942282

fsck: error while loading shard libraries: libuuid.so.1:cannot open shared object file:
Input/Output error:

*** An error occured during the file system check.
*** Droping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue)

It is obvious that the fsck command maybe not to use .

What could i do now ?

 Maybe it is the only method to reinstall the CentOS operating system. isn't it?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sync wrote:
> Well , Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> 1.Which kind of file system is being used on the volume having trouble?
>  A:  it uses the ext2fs filesystem on CentOS  4.6 x86_64
>
> 2.Do you have backups?
> A: that server is used to backup other servers data , so itself  has not
> any backups
>
> 3.Is the volume small enough and do you trust yourself enough with dd to
> duplicate it off to a
> USB|firewire|esata disk? (now THIS _is_ risky. :)
>

> 4.have you read `man fsck` to see why it was being suggested to run it
> WITHOUT the a or p options?
> A: Yeah ~ I have read that .  In particular ,  "-p" options ,. This
> option is mainly provided for those sysadmins
> who don't want to repartition the root system to be small and compact(
> which is really the right solution)

You are either going to have to run fsck and answer 'y' to whatever it suggests
or learn more than it knows about fixing filesystems.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx