CentOS 4.8 - PHP Version 5.1.6 and SQLite

I wish to use the SQLite extensions for php but the version I updated to with yum update (see above) was compiled '--without-sqlite'.

I could sure use some help getting these extensions enabled.

As I am unfamiliar with OOP the references to PDO on the web have been meaningless to me.  Furthermore, a trip to the local book store today (Barnes & Noble) revealed no php books that even mention PDO!

PHP.net documentation seems to be written as if PDO is the preferred method but I cannot even get a simple query to execute.

Alternatively, can someone point me to a reference that shows actual examples of how to use PDO and SQLite?

Regards,

Ron