Re: Virtualization - what do You recommend?

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 07:05:59AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Feb 2010, Victor Padro wrote:
>
> > You can only install KVM or VMWare Workstation/Server in CentOS, I
> > think you should try KVM, because it's opensource and it supports
> > Windows but you need special hardware like the latest CPUs from AMD
> > or Intel...
>
>   just to clarify, you're saying that KVM requires H/W virtualization
> support, either VT-x or AMD-V, yes?  because at this point, i don't
> think that really qualifies as "special hardware" anymore, it's pretty
> common.

Definitely common, but also "special" from the perspective that lots of
us still have plenty of older, yet serviceable hardware in our data
centers (I'm thinking Dell PE 2850's here for example) that don't
suport VT or AMD-V but still runs great for something like Xen.

Ray