PAM configuration?

Hello all,

Can anyone please help out with configuring PAM?
I've checked a couple of tutorials online..
though most of them are related to Login though I want to set PAM up for SSH logins...
I've set the max erroneous logins to just THREE and even after trying to login with an error pass I still can get in...

also is there a way I could enable the PAM module which uses crack library to check the strength of a users password?

any help with this is truly appreciated...
thanks in advanceSmile emoticon