Removable drive configuration

I have a box running CentOS 5.3 with two Dataport removable drive bays
installed on the second IDE interface (/dev/hdc and hdd). I want to
configure it so I can plug in and mount various drives at different
times, including different size drives. So far it will only recognize
the first drive I plug in, and only if I boot the box after inserting
the drive.

Is there any way to set it up so I can mount different size drives
freely without having to reboot each time?

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP